The Crucible is an educational facility that fosters a collaboration of Arts, Industry and Community. Through training in the fine and industrial arts, The Crucible promotes creative expression, reuse of materials and innovative design while serving as an accessible arts venue for the general public.
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Director of Marketing and Communications
to join our team and support our arts education programs. This is an exciting opportunity
to apply your broad marketing talents to a well-respected and culturally iconic
organization. Because you’re needed in a hands-on manner across the marketing functions,
your creative stamp will be everywhere. You enjoy devising solutions collaboratively, and
then rolling up your sleeves and making it happen. You are all at once a thought partner, an
implementer, a digital design wiz, and a compelling storyteller.
● Strategic Planning. In collaboration with the Executive Director, create effective
and comprehensive short-term and long-term plans for marketing and sales.
Develop and implement marketing plans for adult educational programs, as well as
youth programs, adult team-building activities, and special events.
● Audience Development and Research. Build current audience and devise
strategies to develop new audiences in targeted markets. Analyze critical marketing
metrics and provide information that can be used to direct program growth.
● Copywriting and Collateral Preparation. Responsible for the design, content,
production and distribution of marketing and organizational materials. Includes
comprehensive quarterly course catalog directly mailed to 12,000 patrons.
● Website and Online Management. Oversee design and management of
organizational website, including regular updates to site content and enhancements
to backend functionality. Direct and implement strategies regarding our online
presence through website, online ads, social media, and email newsletters.
● Advertising/Media Planning. Create advertising plan and place media buys in
print, internet outlets, and other channels.
● Development Support. Create materials and provide support to fundraising efforts.
● Budgeting. Responsible for developing and monitoring annual marketing budget.
You will report to the Executive Director and be supported by a full-time in-house graphic
designer, part-time Webmaster, and other outside consultants. As part of the senior
management team, you will help guide organizational development.
● Minimum of five years relevant marketing management experience – preferably
with an established cultural or education-based nonprofit organization.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively tell our
story to a wide variety of individuals, including students, sponsors, donors, artists,
parents, media, and all program participants (ages 8-80). The ability to tell a
compelling story is essential.
● Significant print production, direct mail, and advertising experience.
● Experience developing and managing budgets in a resource-constrained
environment, to include experience managing offsite consultants.
● Proficiency with web, ecommerce, and bulk email communication platforms.
Experience with Salesforce, Mailchimp, WordPress, and Woocommerce preferred.
● Knowledge of industrial arts, fine arts, or educational programming desirable.
We offer competitive pay and benefits, including health insurance, ample paid time off, and
more. Our work environment is casual, upbeat, professional, and FUN. Come join us!
We have retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high priority
search. In order to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
● Thoughtful cover letter, indicating why you are the right fit for The Crucible and this
Director of Marketing and Communications position
Please include your name, the title for this position, and the company name (“Your name –
Marketing Director – The Crucible”) in the subject line of your email. Please refrain from
contacting The Crucible directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs. We
will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.
Our West Oakland facility has MIG, TIG, torch and arc welding studios, along with a blacksmith studio, foundry, a glass-blowing hot shop, glass fusing, woodworking, ceramics, neon, kinetics, textiles, a bike shop, and much more.
Under the direction of the Operations Manager, the Studio Manager works as part of a team to build, organize, maintain, and supervise these studios for classes, events, and special projects. The Studio Manager supports studio safety rules and class agreements for all users of The Crucible. It is a highly collaborative position that will work with a varied group of artistic, motivated individuals in our studios. The Studio Manager must be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and be highly detailed and organized.
Both part-time and full-time positions are available.
- Set-up and manage facility for programing and events
- Support, engage and manage studio safety rules and class agreements for all users of The Crucible studios
- Treat and document first aid incidents, operational and programming issues and ensure timely communication to management
- Support faculty and staff needs as directed by the Operations Manager
- Organize and supervise volunteers and interns according to studio priorities
- Maintain seamless tool room and studio operations, ensuring all classes have materials, equipment, and special project support
- Oversee maintenance and repair of all shop equipment
- Build out studio areas and complete special projects as assigned
- Monitor studio and class material usage, restocking as necessary
- Ensure appropriate safety standards are met for all studio activities
- Participate in all staff and studio meetings and special committees, as assigned.
- Pick up and receive donated equipment and supplies
- Oversee studio security during all hours of operation, including special events.
- Complete nightly closing procedures to lock down studio
- Attend all trainings and orientations as needed, including First Aid/ CPR and forklift certification
- Minimum one year of studio management experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, detail orientated and have exceptional interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated project management skills, including managing and prioritizing projects with multiple and often competing deadlines, and ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy, to prioritize and work on several projects concurrently
- Must hold a valid CA drivers license
- Special consideration will be given to candidates with experience in machine repair and maintenance, metal fabrication, glass working, electrical work and kiln repair.
- The preferred candidate would possess basic knowledge of the equipment, electrical and plumbing systems. Furnace/kiln building experience and good metal fabrication skills are a plus, as well as the ability to maintain and repair tools are a plus.
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to communicate with vendors and community contacts in a professional manner
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with populations that are both economically and ethnically diverse
- Non-profit, educational and or industrial arts experience
- BA/BS preferred
E-mail: cover letter, resume and three reference contacts to
Subject line: Studio Manager
We are seeking skilled, part-time instructors in the following areas:
- Glass Blowing
- Welding (ARC, OXY & TIG)
We are looking for Teaching Assistants in the areas of Blacksmithing, Glass Blowing, Kinetics and TIG Welding. Please see the Crucible Faculty Job Description if you would like to teach in an area other than those listed above.
If no positions are available, and you still want to get involved, check out our volunteer opportunities!
The Crucible is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, gender, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation or physical disability.