Industrial Art Classes at The Crucible
Set your imagination on fire
If you’ve ever wanted to weld, work with glass, make jewelry, dance with fire, pour bronze or learn other industrial arts, you’ve found the right place. At The Crucible classes are designed for beginners as well as experienced artists and tradespeople. Our expert instructors introduce technical methods in a format that allows our students to gain practical, working knowledge of material processes. Our hands-on art classes average one instructor for every six students, guaranteeing that each student receives personal attention. Our expert instructors have extensive real-world experience and a passion for what they teach.
Youth & Adult Classes
Offering beginning, intermediate and advanced classes in the fine and industrial arts, The Crucible’s educational programs serve over 8,500 people each year in over 175 classes and workshops. Small class sizes allow instructors to provide personalized attention and assistance. Youth classes start at age 8. There are also many classes where an adult and child ages 12 and up can learn a skill together.
Three Hour Introductory Taster Classes
These three-hour classes are an easy way to begin exploring in fire, metal or glass. Structured for all ages 12 years and older, just about anyone can get a taste of creating with fire and light. Try two skills on the same day and get a deal! When you register for one morning and one afternoon Taster on the same day in separate disciplines, you’ll receive a $15 discount.
These popular classes provide you with the truly rare opportunity to immerse yourself in art. It only takes our expert faculty two days to demystify just about any subject area we have to offer. Weekend Intensives are ideal for out-of-towners or those with with a hectic weekly schedule.
Five Week Classes
In just a little over a month, you’ll gain the knowledge you”ll need to Arc or MIG weld, create glass beads or forge basic blacksmithing tools. Five weeks is an ideal amount of time to get introduced to a new skill. Many of these art classes have related intermediate classes that follow them, at discounted rates, to provide you with the option to further your progress.
Ten Week Classes
If you’re serious about learning to weld, make jewelry, form glass and more, The Crucible’s ten-week sessions allow the time and practice you’ll need to master any art you desire. These in-depth courses are especially recommended for students who have projects in mind.
The Crucible offers special week-long workshops for adults who want to take a break from the mundane and spend some time being creative and learning new skills. Set some time aside for yourself. Come to The Crucible for a vacation you’ll never forget! When you sign up for a continuing class at the same time, you’ll receive a discount of up to $40.
Studio Access Labs
Studio Access Labs provide an opportunity to hone the skills you’ve learned in class, without having to spend a fortune setting up your own shop. Studio Access Lab time is monitored but not instructional.
(You must be a member to access these labs. Pre-qualification in an area or instructor approval may be required.)
Working Together Discounts
When looking at our schedule you wll notice classes wit a gear symbol next to the listing. When signing up for one of these introduction class look for continuing classes in the same area with the gear as well. Sign up for both the introduction and continuing class at the same time and you’ll get our Working Together discount of up to $40 off.
A celebrated faculty of expert artists and tradespeople
Since 1999, The Crucible has showcased the talents of a diverse faculty of expert instructors who are industry professionals and emerging and acclaimed artists. Our faculty members teach here because they enjoy the unique atmosphere and the freedom it gives them to focus on their students.
General Class Information
Unless otherwise mentioned, all materials you need to learn the skills in class will be provided. If you want to make a larger project, there may be additional costs for materials.
Connect with your classmates! We encourage you to help each other out by providing rides to BART, walking together to your cars and carpooling. As with any urban environment, be aware of your surroundings when walking.
The Crucible strives to create an environment in which respects its participants’ physical and emotional well-being. Students are expected to conduct themselves with respect for the individuals, the organization, and the facility at all times. Students will review Studio Rules and Group Agreements of The Crucible during their first class. The director reserves the right to enforce these rules and anyone in violation will be subject to consequences including, but not limited to, immediate dismissal from classes without refund.
Crucible Style: Clothing Do’s and Don’ts
- Please wear all natural fiber clothing; nylon, polyester, spandex or other synthetics are not recommended around open flames.
- No flip flops, sandals or open-toed shoes of any kind are allowed in the studio.
- Please dress in long pants; NO SHORTS are allowed in the studio. Skirts are not recommended.
- The studio can be very cold or very hot. Wear layers!
Youth Attending Any Class
- Parents must accompany youth to the first day of class and must bring a COMPLETED parental consent form and medical authorization form to the first class. Youth will not be able to participate without a completed parental consent form for each class.
- Youth 12 and older can sign up with Adults for any Family Fun class. At the time of registration the name of the youth under 18 and date of birth must be communicated. This can be done over the phone or in the comment section online. A parental consent form must be filled out and brought with the student to the first class.
- Youth 16 and older can sign up for an adult class with the prior consent of the program staff. Registration must be done in person or over the phone. Please be prepared to provide the youth’s name and date of birth. Youth who attend adult classes, without the consent of program staff, will not be able to participate in the class and will not receive a refund.
- If your child will be in class all day, he/she should bring a sack lunch. Morning and afternoon snacks will be provided.
- The Crucible does not allow weapon making in youth classes.
- Please notify staff of ANY physical, social, behavioral or emotional health conditions.
- Before and after-care is not provided.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, check or cash (but please don’t send cash in the mail). Please be prepared to make full payment upon registering. We are unable to hold partially paid slots.
Transfers, Cancellations, Withdrawals & Refunds
The Crucible has the right to cancel any class for any reason. In some cases, classes are cancelled due to low enrollment. In the event that The Crucible cancels your class, you will be notified by phone or email and your tuition fees will be credited or refunded in full. Students who withdraw from a class at least 7 days prior to the first scheduled session of that class will received a full refund, minus a $25 withdrawal fee. No portion of tuition will be refunded or transferred if a withdrawal is made less than 7 days before the start of the class’ first session or after the start of the first class session. There are no exceptions. In order to transfer to another class a student must adhere to the 7 day withdrawal policy. Any refund or credit due after withdrawal can be applied to enrollment in a different class. There are no refunds, transfers, make-ups, or deferments for missed classes.
If you have questions or would like to transfer or cancel a class, please email us at email@example.com, or call us at (510) 444-0919.