Friday, February 24, 2012 • 6:30-9:30PM
$10 at door / Free for Crucible Members
In one captivating night, we consider the strength of industrial materials transformed by the passion of artists who are inspired by it. This evening will include a lecture panel of women industrial artists who personify industrial strength.
We are hosting an open fire spin jam for experienced fire performers and alumni. No instruction will be given; it’s just a chance for people to practice their fire performance skills in a safe environment. All fire toys are welcome, but each will receive a safety inspection before they can be used in the spin jam. See Spin Jam Rules…
Discounts on Crucible class tuition will be available to attendees who register at the event. New students will receive 20% off class tuition and Crucible members will receive 25% off class tuition. In addition, guests can put their $10 cover charge towards the cost of the class. A door prize raffle and the costume contest will also offer attendees a chance to winning free tuition on a Crucible class. All ages are welcome. There is a $10 cover at the door and Crucible members are free.
- Live industrial art demonstrations in featured areas: Jewelry, Blacksmithing, (ARC, MIG, TIG & Oxyacetylene) Welding and Fire Performance
- Panel discussion focusing on a few of the women currently changing the face of the industrial arts
- Spectacular art show showcasing work from featured areas
- Crucible Spin Jam
- Tasty food from Fist of Flour (Woodfired-Pizza) and Breadfruit (Caribbean Cuisine)
- Exciting discounts on Crucible classes
- And chances to win free tuition on a Crucible class!
Lecture Series: Women in Industrial Arts
The panel will be facilitated by Carla Hall, Youth Program Director at The Crucible and avid blacksmith and fabricator.
The spin jam is regulated by the Spin Jam Manager and the Fire Safety Captain. They have the final say in all things safety related and have the authority to eject anyone not adhering to the rules or common sense safety.
The Crucible will provide a trained fire safety crew armed with wet towels and CO2 extinguishers, a fuel dump area and a spin out area. Performers should bring their own fuel clearly marked with type of fuel and their name. White gas and ultra pure lamp oil are the only two fuels allowed. All fire toys are welcome. We ask that you wear all natural fiber clothing (cotton, wool, silk etc.) and no synthetics. Spin time allotted will depend on the amount of jam participants. Please be aware of your surroundings and other performers in the spin area while spinning. No official instruction will be given during the spin jam, though sharing tips and tricks with others is encouraged. All spin jam participants must at least be 18 years of age.
- Each participant must sign a safety waiver
- Participants must bring their own fuel
- All fuel must be clearly marked with type of fuel and participant’s name
- White gas and ultra pure lamp oil are the only two fuels allowed
- No fuel in the fire jam area, including lighters in pockets
- All fire tools must be inspected before fueling
- All tools must be properly spun out before lighting. No lit spinouts allowed.
- Fire tools may only be lit in the jam area
Performers cannot be under the influence of alcohol or any other substance to participate. Any spin jam participant who appears to be under the influence will be ejected from the event.
Event Location & Directions
The event will be located at:
1260 7th Street
Oakland, CA 94607
The Crucible has a very small parking lot on the corner of 7th & Union that will be available for disabled placard parking only. Those spaces are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and go quickly. There are also two paid parking lots that will be staffed. One is on Kirkham Avenue and the other is the 5th Street lot by BART. Please do not park in lots owned by local businesses or the residential area behind The Crucible; your car may be towed.
Ditch the car and don’t worry about parking – The Crucible is easily accessible by BART! From the West Oakland BART Station, exit onto 7th Street, turn right and walk 2 blocks east to Union (at the 2nd light). The Crucible is on the northwest corner of 7th & Union, at 1260 7th Street. To plan your BART trip, visit www.bart.gov.