Position: Tool Room Monitor
The Crucible (www.thecrucible.org) is a non-profit educational facility that fosters a collaboration of Arts, Industry and Community. Through training in the fine and industrial arts, The Crucible promotes creative expression, reuse of materials and innovative design while serving as an accessible arts venue for the general public. We offer a wide range of classes to over 5,000 youth and adults per year. Our programs attract working artists, trades people, and youth and adults from our Oakland community.
Under the direction of the Director of Studio Operations, the Tool Room Monitor is responsible for the smooth operation of the student entrance area, and tool room, and is the first point of contact for general public coming
to the facility. Customer service is of utmost importance to this position, as
this person is often the first face of the Crucible. They are also responsible
for answering the main phone lines, and answering general questions about
registration, points of contact, and general scheduling.
- Monitor who is coming into the facility.
- Welcoming people to the facility.
- Directing students to their classes or the office as needed.
- Notify studio manager on duty of any youth or unexpected guests.
- Check out/in tools for use by faculty, students, and CREATE members.
- Sign in/out CREATE members.
- Distributing keys to faculty for their areas.
- Handle purchases for items that are sold out of the tool room (plasma kits, masks, welding hats, Crucible gear, etc.)
- The tool room monitor is expected to know and enforce The Crucible’s Studio Access Guildlines, CREATE Policy, and Studio Policy.
- This position is responsibile for scheduling and training tool room interns and volunteers who help to cover tool room shifts.
- Other tasks as needed
- Demonstrated ability to provide good customer service
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to be tidy and organized
- Previous cash management experience
- Basic knowledge of shop tools helpful
- Demonstrated commitment and ability in working with populations that are economically and ethnically diverse
- Experience working with non-profit organizations.
- 1-2 years previous customer service experience
The Crucible offers flexible hours and vacation time, casual atmosphere and a relaxed work environment. This is an exciting chance to work with a team of interesting and motivated artists in the Bay Area. The Crucible offers a benefits package that includes health insurance, paid vacation, sick time, 9 paid holidays a floating personal day, 403b plan, and studio access to the facility.
This position is full time, 40hrs a week. The salary range for the position is commensurate with experience. This position is in a regular office within an industrial warehouse.
E-mail: cover letter, resume, and three reference contacts to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Tool Room Monitor.
Please supply your information in a .pdf or .doc format. No faxes, calls, or walk-ins please!
Closing date: March 15, 2013
Non-discrimination policy: The Crucible is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, gender, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation or physical disability.