“The Science of Art” Spring Open House
Saturday, April 6, 2013 • 11-4PM
The Science of Art Spring Open House highlights the scientific principals, enquiry and exploration behind the fine and industrial arts processes taught and practiced here at The Crucible! The event will bring together Crucible faculty, guest artists, a curated gallery of exhibits and demonstrations, projects from local schools as well as special performances, food, and the participation of a number of other local art and science related organizations and university programs.
A fun day for the whole family! Our goal is to connect ourselves and our community to The Science of Art and give us an opportunity to further understand the world in which we live and work, making way for new creativity and innovation at every stage of the process. Check out exciting live demonstrations and exhibits explaining the science behind the art of The Crucible’s 56,000 sq. ft. studio, where furnaces roar and sparks fly. Catch amazing fiery performances and wander through our student and faculty art show displaying the creativity of The Crucible.
- Intriguing demonstrations combining science and art including the Science of Fire, All That Glitters Is Not Gold (Sometimes It’s Silver) in Glass Flameworking, The Gravity of Moldmaking, Mysteries of Steel Made Visible, Raku firing and family fun with ceramics, bicycle physics, Surfing the Solar Flares with Science@CAL, recycled glass processing, glass blowing, blacksmithing and other fascinating experiments in action
- Cool Neon & Fun House Productions will have their retractable LED wall on site as well as other DIY LED and electroluminescent wire kits.
- Fiery performances from our Fire Department faculty
- Amazing molten metal pour in our foundry
- Spectacular art show showcasing work from Crucible students, faculty & staff
- Beautiful handmade art for sale by Crucible artists
- Eye popping discounts in our spring Crucible classes
- Bicycles demonstrations in The Crucible’s Bike Shop
- Tasty food and drink from Fists of Flour Woodfired Pizza and Tina Tamale
- Chances to win free tuition for a Crucible class!
The Crucible is truly unique with all the industrial art disciplines we have under one roof. Demystify the science of art with demonstrations and exhibits in every area with instructors, students, guest artists, and scientists on hand to answer your questions. Check out a map of our studio!
Every spring we like to show off what we do here with a spectacular art show. Pieces from The Crucible’s staff, students, faculty and volunteers will showcase skills learned through industrial arts classes we teach right here. During the Open House we will ask visitors to vote on their favorite top three pieces. Free tuition on a Crucible class will be awarded to the winning artists.
Handmade Art for Sale
Crucible artists will be on hand selling their beautiful handmade art.
Discounts on Crucible Classes
New students who sign up for a Spring class during the Open House, will receive 20% off class tuition. Current members of The Crucible will receive 25% off. Not a member? Sign up at the Open House and take advantage of the 25% off deal.
Looking for a great deal on a bike? The Crucible Bike Shop has a selection of quality used bicycles that have been fully rebuilt by our youth and volunteer mechanics. Contact email@example.com with questions or to make an appointment. In addition to getting a sweet, reliable ride, your purchase supports our Youth Earn-A-Bike Program, our Youth Mechanic Program, and our Community Bike Fixathons. Learn more.
Win FREE tuition for a Crucible class
During our Open House you can win free tuition for a Crucible class. Enter our drawing when you first arrive for a chance at the free class.
|Event Location & Directions
1260 7th Street. Oakland, CA 94607
The Crucible has a very small parking lot on the corner of 7th & Union that will be available for disabled placard parking only. Those spaces are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and go quickly. There are also two paid parking lots that will be staffed. One is on Kirkham Avenue and the other is the 5th Street lot by BART. Please do not park in lots owned by local businesses or the residential area behind The Crucible; your car may be towed.
Ditch the car and don’t worry about parking – The Crucible is easily accessible by BART! From the West Oakland BART Station, exit onto 7th Street, turn right and walk 2 blocks east to Union (at the 2nd light). The Crucible is on the northwest corner of 7th & Union, at 1260 7th Street. To plan your BART trip, visit www.bart.gov.