Studio areas available through the CREATE Program:
- ARC Welding
- Power Hammers
- Cold Working
- Power Tools
- Cold Working Tools
- MIG Welding
- Oxyacetylene Welding
- Plasma Cutter
- Shell Room
- TIG Welding
- Wax Room
The CRucible’s Expanded Access to Tools & Equipment
Setting up your own workshop can be expensive, and space prohibitive. CREATE is a way for current and former students to use The Crucible’s studio space, tools and equipment to work on their own projects.
To be eligible for CREATE, you must:
- Have already taken one or more prerequisite classes in the subject area;
- Have an active Crucible membership
- Be evaluated by a Crucible instructor or staff person in a “checkout” session establishing your competency to use the studio safely and appropriately
Access can be purchased for 30-day, 90-day, or full-year increments.
- $1,100 for full year access + 4 free checkouts
- $350 for a quarter (90-day) + 1 free checkout
- $125 for monthly (30-day).
- Departmental safety checkout: $40 per area.
- Limited locker space is available for rent. A 2 ½ ‘ x 2 ‘ x 6 ½ ‘ locker can be rented as storage space for $50 per month by CREATE Members.
How to Sign Up for CREATE
Call (510) 444-0919 to sign up for the CREATE program and to schedule a departmental safety checkout in your chosen areas. After passing the departmental safety check-out, you’re free to make use of The Crucible as your own workshop!
CREATE Studio Availability
Monday – Friday: 10 am – 10 pm
Saturday – Sunday: 10 am – 6 pm
Priority goes to classes. Members are not permitted to work in an area during a class. Members must clean up and exit a work area 30 minutes before the start of a class or 15 minutes before closing time.
2014 CREATE Holiday Closures
- January 1st: New Year’s Day
- January 21: Martin Luther King Day
- February 18: President’s Day
- April 20: Easter Sunday
- May 26: Memorial Day
- July 4: Independence Day
- September 1: Labor Day
- November 11: Veterans Day
- November 27-28: Thanksgiving
- December 24 – January 1: Holiday Break
|ARC Welding||Intro to Welded Sculpture|
|Beadblaster||Special approval by head of area|
|Blacksmithing||Intro to Blacksmithing and Cont. Tech in Blacksmithing|
|Blacksmithing Power Hammers||Special approval by head of area|
|Cold Working Glass||Special approval by head of area|
|Enameling||Special approval by head of area|
|Fabrication Power Tools||Special approval by head of area|
|Fabrication Cold Working Tools||Special approval by head of area|
|Grinding||Any welding class|
|Jewelry||Intro to Jewelry & Metal (A) and Intro to Jewelry & Metal (B) and Special approval by head of area|
|MIG Welding||Intro to MIG Welding or Furniture Fabrication & MIG Welding|
|Oxyacetylene Welding||Oxyacetylene Welding or Intro to Welded Sculpture|
|Plasma Cutter||Intro to MIG Welding or Furniture Fabrication & MIG Welding|
|Shell Room||Special approval by head of area|
|TIG Welding||Beginning TIG and Continuing Techniques in TIG|
|Wax Room||Special approval by head of area|