Job Title: Development Associate
Reports To: Director of Advancement
Status: Full-time Exempt
Date: September 6, 2018
Organization Overview: The Crucible inspires creative exploration and expression through welcoming, hands-on arts education and experiences for people of diverse ages and backgrounds. As an innovative hub built around the industrial arts, The Crucible is a catalyst for individual growth and vibrant community connections. A leader in the Bay Area arts community, The Crucible is widely recognized for its exceptional learning experiences, rich and varied arts programs, skilled and committed faculty, and unparalleled educational facilities.
Position Overview: The Development Associate is responsible for coordination and expansion of The Crucible’s membership program, management of the donor database (Salesforce), and coordination of donor events. The Development Associate will also oversee timely gift processing, acknowledgment, and benefits fulfillment. The incumbent works closely with the Director of Advancement to grow the individual donor base and deepen donor engagement with The Crucible.
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Classification: This is a full-time exempt position. Evening and weekend availability are required occasionally for events and meetings.
Membership Program Coordination (25%)
- Coordinate The Crucible’s membership program and individual giving at the membership level ($1-$999); develop and evaluate comprehensive strategies to increase renewal rates and continually acquire new donors.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate appeals and campaigns to increase numbers of new and renewed members and individual giving at the membership level. Includes membership acquisition campaigns and monthly renewals.
- Manage online store memberships via WooCommerce.
- Ensure member benefits package remains current, attractive, and competitive over time, and ensure benefit fulfillment.
- Develop strategies for creating and maintaining regular communication with members through various channels, in consultation with Director of Advancement.
- Provide regular statistical reports and summaries of fundraising progress.
- Serve as point of contact, cultivate, and steward The Crucible members through activities/events, telephone contact, and written communications, involving Director of Advancement and Executive Director when appropriate.
- Identify prospective supporters at the Vulcan Society or Major Gift level in the membership pool, conduct research, and submit to Director of Advancement for review.
- Prepare income projections, reforecasts, and expense budget.
Direct Mail and Online Giving (25%)
- Work in collaboration with Director of Advancement to conceive, set, and implement strategies and tactics that grow our base of support through diverse and various means.
- Implement direct mail and online giving programs for current, lapsed, and acquisition. Includes spring and end-of-year campaigns.
- Manage and acquire new members of the monthly giving program, the Flamekeepers.
- Coordinate employee giving and matching gift programs.
Fundraising and Donor Events (25%)
- Assist Director of Advancement with the planning and implementation of the Fire & Light Soirée and Art Auction.
- Coordinate donor stewardship events and membership events, including Behind-the-Scenes tours and GIFTY Member-Only Preview night.
Database Management / Stewardship (20%)
- Manage the donor database (in Salesforce), establish and ensure implementation of protocols, handle system refinements and data integration, and any interface with other online development tools, such as website/donation page and online marketing tools use for appeals and events. Update the Salesforce Manual as needed.
- Oversee all contributed income data entry for contacts, gifts, pledges, etc., to ensure consistency and highest level of accuracy, and to reconcile with the finance office.
- Generate regular and accurate reports on income and fundraising progress, list maintenance, and lists for solicitation appeals
- Create and manage performance analytics data.
- Oversee gift acknowledgements, pledge letters, and updates.
Other Development Activities (5%)
- Manage office volunteers responsible for development office projects and event volunteers.
- Compile organizational and programmatic data for reporting purposes as needed.
- Connection to The Crucible’s vision and mission and Oakland community.
- Minimum of two years of development experience, preferably in an arts or education context.
- Experience with database management and organization, including concrete experience in report generation, fundraising analytics, list management and segmentation for donor cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and events. Salesforce CRM experience highly desirable.
- Experience with email communication tools, such as Mailchimp or Constant Contact.
- Excellent writing and clear communications skills, with experience developing compelling materials and a successful track record of messaging to different audiences.
- Self-starter with solid work ethic, deadline driven, with a positive attitude.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
We offer competitive pay and benefits, including health insurance, paid time off, and more. Our work environment is casual, upbeat, professional, and fun. Come join us!
How to apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and three reference contacts (PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line: Development. No faxes or calls please!