Job Title: Director of Programs
Reports To: Executive Director
Date: June 8, 2018
The Crucible, Northern California’s most innovative and diverse industrial arts education center and creative arts community, seeks a visionary, execution-oriented, and energetic individual to join our team as a Director of Programs. The Director of Programs has the overall responsibility for the development and delivery of all public educational programs and arts events at the Crucible. This role holds both critical aspects of The Crucible’s teaching artist and education work, as well as important class, workshop, and event revenue streams. The Director of Programs works closely with the Executive Director and executive team to meet creative, community, and financial objectives.
The Director of Programs reports to the Executive Director. Primary responsibilities are focused on program development, management, and execution, with strong attention paid to student experience, support, and sustainability for Crucible faculty, studio managers, and teaching artists, an inclusive spirit of continuous improvement and the plain old badassery of being a creative leader at one of the most exciting arts programs in the world. This is a senior staff role with huge impact! Critical responsibilities include the following:
Program Administration and Operations
- Support and develop a wide range of classes and programs that provide exceptional user experience, quality instruction, measurable learning, and skills building
- Foster a creative environment that welcomes and respects all members of our community, supports artists and learners, and reflects the mission and values of our Crucible community
- Lead and manage department budgets, revenue goals, and revenue projections
- Be a leader and thought partner in developing new programs, targeting new and current audiences, and deepening and improving value and experience of current programs for students and faculty
- Be deeply connected to and an advocate for the artistic community centered at The Crucible who are working to thrive in the East Bay and Oakland as living costs soar
Staff and Faculty Management and Development
- Manage all program staff and develop support, training, recruitment, and retention programs for faculty and volunteers
- Be an active participant in making The Crucible community more welcome and inclusive of local Oakland residents, local communities of color, women, and LGTBQIA folks
- Work with all department and faculty leads to benchmark best practices, inclusive approaches, and transformative creative experiences
- Support the creative community and artistic expression we treasure
Financial and Operations
- Manage budgets, work with Executive Director and CFO to manage revenue goals and develop data driven recommendations, including income projections, optimum studio usage, course activity, and enrollment projections
- Analyze and contrast earned income potential between studio uses for Crucible programs, which include: youth summer camps, adult classes, team building activities, facility rentals, workforce development and events
- Minimum of seven years relevant program management experience as a creative lead in an execution-based setting – preferably with an established arts education nonprofit organization or close equivalent
- Budget responsibility
- Arts-focused entrepreneurial or program development experience
- Management experience, ideally with creative personalities
- Self-motivation and adaptability
- Ability to prioritize workload efficiently and manage multiple projects
- Can work effectively under pressure, react quickly, and meet tight deadlines
- Strong personal integrity, maturity, and credibility
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Appetite for innovation applied to real, measurable outcomes
- Experience with program evaluation and assessment
- Proven track record working with artists and local community, ideally in diverse settings
- Able to be both a leader and team member, who is proactive and energetic
- Optimism a plus!
- Ability to lift 35 pounds, current valid CA driver’s license, and ability to drive a car if needed
- BA/BS preferred, but not required
This is a full-time, exempt position based in Oakland, California. The Crucible is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all persons, especially those who bring the benefits of diversity to the organization. Women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Email a cover letter, résumé, LinkedIn profile, and three reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject line: Director of Programs
Applications close July 15.